Thursday, 3 February 2011

Angry Movie Lurker Review 26: The American.(3 STARS)


I had mixed feelings after watching this movie because it left me a liitle perplexed and wondering what I missed or did I miss, I like Clooney, good actor and good screen presence and in this he starts off as a bad guy with an attempt on his life and somebody he is with in Sweden and he goes on the run and ends up in a little village in Italy vowing never to work again but is lured out with a job by his contact developing a weapon for a female client and this is to be last job ever.He develops a friendship with the local priest and a local prostitute while the job proceeds but he is being followed by the swedes and trying to kill him but he is a harried and paranoid man and trusts no one (part of his profession being a hitman I suppose).The job and movie conclude with people trying to kill him that he believed he trusted or didn't?, I found myself at the end asking questions about the Swedes, the woman with his last contract and his contact who seems to be constantly displeased with him, the priest and prostitute are distractions, the prostitute is a beautiful distraction though and the set pieces are fine.

The movie is slow paced but beautiful (what you would expect from a director who was primarily a photographer) and the liitle nod to Once upon a time in the West playing on a cafe TV but if you like Clooney (his performance of moody, brooding and paranoid should have his picture in the dictionary under these words for example) you will probably like this but hopefully not end up slighty confused as I was, 3 STARS because of Clooney, DiCaprio would have given it 2 STARS. 

4 comments:

  1. Not seen it yet, you'll have to lend it to me, coz I'm sure not buying it after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this yet, I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boogie boogie. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen it yet, missed it in the cinema ^^ Good review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...